Friday, March 2, 2018

Participation Trophies: What The Heck Is Going On?

I'm one of those people who have always believe accolades need to be earned to be fully appreciated. When I was age 12 I played for the Knights of Columbus Little League baseball team.

I recently came across a photo of myself proudly holding two trophies. One was achieved for winning the summer league championship. The other was for winning the City tournament. A smile on my face ran from side to side as wide as the Missouri River.

This past week I was in Olathe, Kansas to watch my six year old granddaughter play her final basketball game of the season at her grade school. Her team had ten members. They play eight minute quarters but the clock never stops. At the end of four minutes play is stopped and a new five girls step on the floor.

Since these kids are in first  grade and not adept at the game adherence to the rules by the officials is largely overlooked; the kids are allowed to double dribble, travel, take the ball over and back and violate every other rule except mugging. That's forbidden.

The only thing I can equate with this game is watching four year old, recently out of diapers, play soccer. They're like water bugs following the ball, all 12 of them, moving in concert to the ball without knowing positions.

So, at the conclusion of my Addie's basketball game I started walking toward the car. But wait, I was told we had to stay in the school. We have to have the awards ceremony, my son told me. Oh Lord! I'm a Grandpa ten times over so I knew what was coming.

All ten girls were lined up. The coach called each name of his six year old players. They approached him, dropped their heads, and he placed a ribbon with a monster medal attached around their neck. The Olympics don't give medals this large. The little cherubs smiled. The adoring parents applauded. I wondered how long it would be before this nonsense ended. My bladder was about to explode.

Here's what happened with my Little League trophies. I borrowed them from the Knights of Columbus where they were on display in a case. If I wanted to see them I had to go to downtown Boone to the KC Hall. Participation trophies were unheard of in 1958. I never did go to the Hall. I had and still have the memories.

It's not only my granddaughter's coach who does the participation thingy. It's rampant all over the country. Participation trophies are meaningless. They destroy any aspect of competition and pride in a  job well done. If a parent is reading this and wants to teach your child a lesson in life do the right thing. You just might find that trophy in the garbage.

Our 1962-63 high school basketball team qualified for the Iowa High School State Basketball finals. We were defeated in the quarterfinals. This is what we received for our accomplishment. During the Championship game, at halftime, as we were seated under the south end of the basket at Veteran's Memorial Auditorium in Des Moines the game announcer called for our team to stand. Hardly anybody did because they were all getting popcorn or going to the bathroom. But I know I looked good in my suit and tie so that counts for something.

As for my granddaughter's Olympic size medal I'm certain it will be in her closet within six months. hidden away under dirty socks and t-shirts. If her coach had given it more thought he would have given each child a large Snicker's bar. They would have been much happier.

No comments: