Friday, July 23, 2021

An Ode To Jock Sniffers

 In Dublin Ohio and my area especially I've had the opportunity to meet a number of celebrities. My neighbor was in charge of amenities for guests at the Muirfield Village Golf Club. If you don't know it's a biggie. At one time I was asked to join but the $125,000 initiation fee and $8,000 monthly dues seemed to be a point of no return. Besides, the Queen would have divorced me. Even so, celebrities from around the world congregated here. Well, if you can called Sean Connery, Sam Snead, Nick Price and Tiger Woods as celebs.

At one time we had a neighbor down the street who was a certified 'jock sniffer'. Definition from the urban legend: one who hangs around with professional athletes or jocks in general, thinking this will make them higher on the social food chain. Sometimes do dirty work for jocks.

One year a golfer named Marc Wilson and his family rented a condo next to ours. The neighbor made it a point to pretty much camp in front of Wilson's condo just so he could make conversation and be one of the guys. Really, it was quite sickening but who am I to talk since I'm not even close to being famous.

This past week I made a trip to Easton, Pennsylvania at the request of my buddy who is a best friend of former world heavyweight boxing champ, Larry Holmes. As a tag along I stood in the background even though I was a guest in Holmes home twice and attended a dinner thanks to his generosity.

I met, aside from Holmes, Michael Spinks, former Heisman winner, George Rogers, most valuable Super Bowl player O.J. Anderson, boxing legend Gerry Cooney and another boxing champ, Ray Mercer. One of the nicest guys was Lewis Tillman, former running back of the Chicago Bears. I met three people who were B television and movie actors.

In the final analysis, and I knew this already, these guys are normal average people with the same hopes and dreams of all of us. They're all regular Joe"s.

No comments: