Thursday, July 15, 2021

On The Road Again---Finally

 It's been since November of 2020 that your host made a road trip. It's about time to get going again. Over the years I've been blessed to have met and conversed with a wide variety of what could be called celebrities. And for a boy from Boone, Iowa these meetings can inspire awe and satisfaction.

In a blog I wrote years ago I mentioned some of the people I've met and shook hands with, sometimes trying to pick up my jaw off the ground. Oh, I'm not one of those guys who brags about these meetings. After all, they're only people who do the same as I every day; breathe, eat, sleep.

My best buddy in Central Ohio and beyond played basketball for Dick Vitale in the 70's. He's one of the finest and funniest men I know and he knows the rich and famous. Beginning this Saturday we, he and I, will drive seven hours to Easton, Pennsylvania to take part in the Larry Holmes Charity Golf Outing. If you don't know Holmes is a former heavyweight boxing champion. He defeated some no name by the name of Ali to gain the crown and then held onto it for five years.


My best buddy and, I'll call him Mister Holmes are good pals. On Saturday of this upcoming week-end we'll attend a private party at Holmes home with his pals from the sports world. On Sunday there's a charity auction followed on Monday by the golf outing.

It could be fun and supply stories for a long time. My only fear is Holmes will insult me and I'll have to lay him out. Or, could it be the other way around?

No comments: