Monday, January 23, 2023

You Know You're Old When-------------------------

 I've been giving my age more consideration lately. Maybe it's because I'm about to kick in the door on 77. Being this age is no big deal because I'm a Baby Boomer. For us, and you Boomers know this, we'll always be cool so age isn't really a factor. As an example, I own four pair of low cut Converse All-Star basketball shoes in a variety of colors and I wear them in public. Only Baby Boomer's could get away with this.

Another thing I do with age is that beginning this week when people ask me my age I'll tell them I'm one year older than I actually am. This way when that real birthday arrives I'll feel like I have gained an extra 12 months. 

I think back to how my grandparents dressed and acted when they were 77 but I can't. They all died at age 74 or sooner. I do know my grandmother, who lived with us, wore flower dresses and large black shoes with holes in the toes and she dyed her gray hair brown. She had that heart attack at age 72 but I'm guessing Kent cigarettes and vodka contributed.

Along the lines of age and dying I read a guy named Crosby from the group Crosby, Stills & Nash died this week. Would you care to know the real reason I remember him? It's because he was fingered for being a sperm donor for another singer, Melissa Etheridge. To be 100% honest if a person offered me $100 to name a song from either he or his group I'd lose out on some cash. Then I began thinking about other groups, one of them being The Eagles. I know they're popular with my set but, and here we go again, I couldn't tell you the last name of the lead singer. Is it Glen something. Ask me to name one of their songs and I'm clueless.

I can take this further. I do know there's a famous group called The Beach Boys. I saw a movie recently about the lead singer and the problems he had in life. You know who I'm talking about------Is his name Mike or something along those lines? Quickly, ask me to name one of their song titles. Folks, I can't do it. Oh wait! Little Deuce Coup jumped into me head. Is that one of them? Regardless, I do know they had songs with a California flavor.

I was reading a story about a 'a famous baseball player who retired. At least that's what the heading on the news story said. So, thinking I might be reading about a Babe Ruth type I opened up the link and saw it was someone with the name like John Smith and i asked myself, "Famous for what?" I'd never heard of him. And I moved on without a bit of frustration because I really didn't care just like I didn't care about Crosby or The Eagles or even The Beach Boys. If one of my compadres' gave me grief about my lack of memory, and being 77, I could justifiably tell them to go F themselves without batting an eye. Folks, age does have its privileges.

I'm trying to come up with a point for this blog piece and I can't except that possibly we're here today and gone tomorrow and nobody cares all that much what happens in between. My buddy, The Council Bluffs Cowboy, has a philosophy about things of this nature and memory or lack thereof that might apply: "He'd say, "Hmmm, I think I'll have another beer."




No comments: