Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Going To Coe College, Cedar Rapids, Iowa

A couple of my college friends wondered if I was going to attend our 50th college reunion at the end of this September. It's going to take place at Coe College in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Truth be told I most likely won't drive from Ohio to the event. Coe has been referred to as the Harvard of the Midwest. A few of my buddies came up with this term, 'If you can't go to college go to Coe'.

I liked Coe. I enjoyed Cedar Rapids more. It was and is a thriving community of over a hundred thousand souls. I'm not certain why I didn't look for a job there after I barely matriculated. Maybe it's that I thought I'd better get out of town before President McCabe came to his senses and took away my diploma.

I went to Coe from 1965-1968. The tuition was $3K per year. I looked up the tuition this afternoon. It's now 42K.

I did give serious consideration to going back for the reunion. I asked one of my friends if he thought Judy Stitt might come back. She was the hottest girl on campus and I dated her a couple of times. She was a richie rich from Skokie, Illinois. I was a railroad kids son from cheesy Boone, Iowa. I felt dating Judy was the greatest coup on my life.

I hope Judy didn't get really fat.

No comments: