Thursday, September 27, 2018

Personal Examples Of Sexual Assault

The Queen and I have been talking about the Ford-Kavanaugh spectacle. I did not know until two days ago she was a victim of sexual assault and it occurred in 1969 when we were engaged to be married.

At that time she was working at the Cherokee Mental Health Institute in Cherokee, Iowa. She told me that one doctor in the facility forced himself upon her. I asked why she didn't do something about it. Her answer was, this man was well respected. Who would believe me? I told her I would and if she'd told me I would have hammered the guy. Remember, though, it was 1969, and it was a different time.

In 1984 I was teaching at Rock Island Alleman, Illinois High School, a Catholic school. One afternoon I was in class as a American History instructor when the Sociology instructor came flying into my classroom with this: "I'm going to beat the sh*t out of you". My students gasped and I pulled this dude out into the hallway.

You have to understand Mr. Tornabane was not only a sociology instructor but also the Guidance Counselor. In other words, he wanted to know where the students 'were coming from'. I had heard a rumor that he was taking pregnant girls to get abortions but, as I said, it was a rumor.

Evidently, in his class of forty seniors one of the students, Julie, blurted out in class that MJ Hawkeye, when she was a sophomore, took her into the teachers lounge, took off her blouse and bra. He then starting kissing her and fondled her breasts. Did I mention she said this in a class of senior students?

The very first thing I did was take Tornabane and Julie to the Assistant Principal's office. I was very fortunate because the principal was not only a woman but a nun and she handled the situation perfectly.

She started by asking Julie to tell what happened. And then she repeated this request and again and again six times total. Finally, Julie broke down and said, "I got pregnant when I was 15 and I didn't think Mr. Hawkeye liked me anymore.

This isn't the only time this happened to me as a teacher. Another female accused me of fondling her breasts. Once again, I avoided serious problems. Her very best friend went to the principal and told him it was a lie. Her reason: She hated me and wanted me fired.

God help people if they have to go through this nonsense.

2 comments:

jack said...

I knew MJ Hawkeye and taught with him. Like Kavanaugh's friends I am darn (dam) sure MJ Hawkeye did not do what these girls accused him of. But, what a great example of how accusations can ruin a good man's life. Fortunately It did not ruin MJ Hawkeye's life. His students were blessed to have had him as their teacher as I am to have him as a life long friend.

mjloehrer said...

Thank you so very much for the very kind words. I'm very happy.