Thursday, October 31, 2019

Trick 'N Treating: It's An Experience

I think today is October 31 but for me it could be July 31. I don't pay attention to dates much anymore. All I know is I got out of bed this morning(at 10 am. What's up with that?) and I was breathing.

If today is indeed Trick 'n Treat day in Dublin, Ohio it ain't going to be good for the kiddies or mom's and dad's who have to squire the little urchins around. We're having a 24 hour downpour.

In days gone by I used to enjoy this day. I'd visit one of those shops that are around for two months selling goblin masks and all that jazz. I'd buy on of those masks that fits over my head and sit on the front porch waiting for the kids to come by then drop candy in their bags. It was as enjoyable for me as it was, I think, for them.

The Columbus area and surrounding burbs do it right. One night and one night only for all the communities to beg.

When we lived in Davenport, Iowa aka The Quad-Cities,(Moline, Rock Island, Bettendorf) had different nights for candy taking. I think the parents were using their kids as pawns to get the grimy chocolate. I'd always ask the kids(little ones don't know how to lie like their parents) where they lived. I'd always get an answer like, "I live in Rock Island". It was amazing how a six year old can ford the Mississippi River from Illinois into Davenport and find my place six miles north of the river but they did.

We're lucky living where we do in Murifield Village in Dublin. Our condo is sequestered way far away for civilization and since we're the youngest residents at 73 in the area the chances of us having candy grabbing visitors is less than nil.

Even so, I'm not taking any chances. From 5 pm till midnight, I'll shut off the lights, close the curtains and hide.

No comments: