Tuesday, March 24, 2020

And God Laughs Last

Forgive me but I had to leave the house this morning. I'd booked a flight to Ft. Myers on the 17th of April with a return on the 18th. My ex-boss was having a birthday party so I wanted to be there. Anyway, the party was canceled.

My flight down was on Southwest and I can bank the ticket. Coming home I'd booked a seat on a cheap airline, Allegiant. They requested a doctors note from me so my longtime doctor needed to do me a favor.

It's a 25 minute drive each way from Dublin to Westerville on I-270. It gave a great deal of windshield time to think. The first thought dealt with the price of gasoline. It's down all over the country. Russia and Saudi Arabia tried to pull some shenanigans and since the U.S. is energy independent, well, you know what's going on. Gasoline in Dublin is hovering aaround $1.29 and, according to the experts will go below a dollar. Isn't it funny? Gas goes down to what it was in the late seventies and we can't go anywhere. Once again, God has the last laugh.

Then the mind moved onto another subject; those who protest our oil drilling and fracking. The Democrats, Joe Biden included, want to get rid of it. Do me a favor. Google products made from petroleum. It's a seemingly endless list. If we got rid of petroleum products the people would be running around without clothes. Plastic products would become a footnote of history. Oh my, what would the people use instead of computers, iPods? It'd be mass suicide.

On the way home I hit a red light. In the car next to me was a woman, maybe in her mid-thirties. She was on her phone holding it with her left hand while gesticulating with her right. Then she drove off. I had to assume she was driving with her knees. So, if we can yell and holler at the irresponsible youth in Florida who flocked the beaches challenging the virus to snare them why is it not possible to believe they'll continue their immaturity as the years go bye? It's always the, 'Can't happen to me' philosophy.

Hopefully, I'll leave the couch today. For three years, maybe longer, I've been determined to practice Spencerian script. I have all the books and utensils. This form of writing began on the shores of lake Erie by a guy named, what else, Spencer. If you're not familiar with the script think of the form in which our Constitution was written.

I've sat down many times to start but usually I have so much coffee coursing through my veins my penmanship looks like that of a person with palsy. I'm hoping today's different.

The question is, coffee or writing, coffee or writing. Maybe I'll start the Spencerian junk tomorrow.


No comments: