Wednesday, March 25, 2020

'We The People' Don't Count

I moved my family to Westerville, Ohio in 1989 from Iowa. Westerville is situated on the northeast side of Columbus and I was semi-excited to know that for the first time in my voting life I would be living in a highly Republican district.

My congressman was the now infamous John Kasich. Wanting to get involved I went to work for his campaign. Living in the district was akin to being a New York Yankee in the 50's; they always won.

Every so often if I had a policy question I'd get ahold of Kasich or one of his aides and he or they would get back to me. After Kasich left Pat Tiberi took over. As I did with Kasich I'd send Tiberi an email or call his office and he responded accordingly. This might shock you but one morning Pat Tiberi called my home to speak with me about an issue.

Tiberi left office a year ago and the one time monopoly district for the Republicans was won by Troy Balderson in a razor thin margin.

We have a split senatorial brigade in the Buckeye state. The Democrat is Sherrod Brown. The Republican is Rob Portman

I continue to write these people, politely, asking policy questions and what do I get-----crickets!

I was going to fire off more letters today but it'd be a waste of my time and a waste for the aides of the congressmen who might look at them before they're deleted.

This morning I read there might be an agreement on a relief package for the American people due to the Coronavirus. It doesn't affect me all that much. I do qualify for the cash payout but I don't really need it. Others do so that's good.

As I understand it the bill soon to become law has 500 pages. Are you serious? Five hundred pages in one bill for the American people. Most of the paper in that bill could have gone for toilet paper.


No comments: