Sunday, March 22, 2020

So You Think You Can Cook

A few years ago I wrote a blog piece called grandpacooks.blogspot.com. I'll begin by saying, if you enjoy cooking you would be wiser than wise to put it on your permanent link list. The author of this blog went on hiatus for awhile but is back with a vengeance doing what he does best; inspiring some to greatness in the kitchen and others to consume food delicacies not thought of before. This man can take a bratwurst and with a few twists and turns develop it into a porterhouse steak worthy of a king.

I write these things because I've seen him in action. From a guy who has a difficult time opening and cooking a can of soup I've learned to appreciate what he does with a flame.

I know this guy wants to remain anonymous but his initials are S-T-E-V-E and he lives in Overland Park, Kansas. I've known the man since around 1951 and even then he was a legend in town. I ask you, how many 7 year olds would fill May baskets with candy(remember when we had those), leave them on his front porch then when an unsuspecting female victim approached his doorstep with her basket he would jump out from behind the bushes and plant a wet smacker on her cheek? If you don't believe me ask Sandy Nickell. She still lives in Boone, Iowa and can affirm my story. When the guy was 9 years old he had a pair of Florsheim Imperial wing tip shoes. By the age of 12 he could tie a full and half Windsor knot.

When he was a lad and had the flu he started crying because he couldn't eat. I'm almost certain about this. He now laughs when he tells this story. It wasn't so funny when he was a kid.

Anyway, Steve is a world traveler. He was a big shot with IBM and spent his last work years in Australia preparing for the Olympics. He and his wife, already a saint in heaven, worked in other countries around the globe. I only write this for one reason. He's tasted foods from every country he's been in and in his brain has filed away the recipes. His food memory would rival that of Einstein's knowledge of math. As an example, Her Majesty and I were with them and another couple from the Kansas City area a couple of years ago and were dining at an upscale bistro. As our first course arrived Steve took a bite, then turned his eyes to the heavens and after a few seconds spoke to his wife, "Jan," he said, "There's a spice in this(whatever) that reminds me of something we had at a restaurant on the Champs de Elysees in 1994." Heck, I once did the same thing, though. I once told the Queen, "Queen, the ketchup on these french fries reminds me of the kind we had at Wendy's when we lived in Ottumwa"

I might be spreading a falsehood but I do believe that Steve cooks the evening meals and they're doozies. He doesn't mess around. The deal he has with his wife is grandpa cooks, grandma cleans up. It's a system that works.

What I'm asking is is that you give grandapcooks.blogspot.com a look see. He peppers his recipes with interesting side bars centered around historical areas and other tidbits of information to maintain your interest.

I only have one complaint about Stevie. He never taught me how to tie a full Windsor.

Enjoy his website.

No comments: