Sunday, December 26, 2021

And What Did You Get For Christmas



Are you one of those people who goes bonkers around Christmas time writing out lists of most worthless gifts you want? If you are then I suspect you're under age thirty. We had our



early in our marriage and that's just fine with us. When Christmas came around we'd get the toy list from the children and hope we could cover it on teacher's pay. I mean, $9,600 dollars in 1972 didn't really go that far.

Even back then Her Majesty and I came up with gifts for each other. I usually made something that would have made our friends laugh; not because the gift was funny but due to the fact it was so cheesy and ridiculous. The Queen said, "Thank you" but about three days later, after the garbage men came, it was never seen again.

Yesterday we exchanged gifts. If it wasn't for the fact that my lady usually gets me something I'd pass on presents. I mean, if she wants a certain item she can buy one herself. I don't spend a whole lot of thought on gifts for her. Past experience tells me so. There have been hundreds of times in our fifty-two years together when I buy a gift but remember to put in a receipt because I know it's going back. I'll get an envelope and write 'Merry Christmas' on the outside then stick in a Ben Franklin. Problem solved. I saw a commercial on TV yesterday and in it was a very handsome man of around thirty. The woman, most likely his wife was the same age. All of a sudden out of the woods comes a brand new Lexus; her gift to him. Yeah right, and I have the finances of Elon Musk.

After dinner I opened a box containing my gifts. Are you ready for this? Inside was a a pair of argyle socks and two underwear. My heart jumped with joy. It was just wanted I wanted. I don't know how she came up with this idea but, God bless her, I feel like King Midas without the gold.

No comments: