Friday, December 31, 2021

It's A Sign Of The Times

 Once every week I'll hook up with my buddy and we'll hit golf balls then head out to a doughnut and coffee shop and do men talk for an hour or so. Yesterday, decided to go to our normal haunt, Dunkin' Donuts. Do you know what I hate? It's when you want a coffee but the business is closed on the inside because of Covid. Well, that's what happened but we were only a block from Tim Horton's so off we went only find out they, too, we closed. 

We didn't want to miss out on our weekly camaraderie so we found a Panara Bread establishment. They were open on the inside even though on the door window was a sign reading "Must Wear A Mask To Enter'. By now you should know me. In my mind I said, "I'll do what I damn please and like it." As we walked inside there were 15 or 20 patrons doing the unthinkable. They were maskless. I gloated.

Anyway, since my friend bought the last time I stepped to the front and gave my order and his: two cups medium sized coffee. a blueberry muffin for him and a chocolate chip cookie for me and the cost came to----------

I'm going to halt right here and tell you in my first teaching/coaching job in 1968 my salary was $6,750.00. After taxes I took home $400.11. Times were different then. Gas was 19 cents per gallon. My '68 Pontiac GTO needed a payment of $100 monthly. Apartment rent was $28.00 times 4 because of my three roomies. Well, if you're around my age you understand. 

The Panera bill for two came to $12.57. I was shocked but not really. I remembered we were in the age of Biden and it all fell in place.

No comments: