Wednesday, December 29, 2021

"Speak English, Please"

 As it is with most young people they fail to take advantage of great historians. By this I mean they fail to question their grandparents about their lives growing up in the once greatest country in the world. Sadly, I fell into this category. It's a natural progression of life. My ten grandchildren have never asked me a question about growing up beginning in the 1950's. The more I think about it my own kids weren't all that interested in the times immediately after WWII. Sad, isn't it?

My area of the world is Dublin, Ohio. It has recently been selected as the #9 best suburb in the United States. I've always felt, though, that these awards are given to those communities whose Chambers of Commerce slip the selectors the highest amount of money but that's the skepticism garnered over the years of living. 

Dublin is nice compared to other communities. We've had two murders in the past 15 years; one when a gas station was robbed and the other when a jilted girlfriend shot her married lover. I suspect most of the crimes committed here are home invasions. You know what I mean--------follow the money-------because it's a wealthy area. 

Dublin is also a diverse community. Most of the aliens to our community are Somali's, Mumbai type Indians and Paki's along with Orientals. I have a pet peeve about these people and I'm sure it came from my paternal grandfather. I may have mentioned him in previous blogs but, if not, here we go. You have to know, though, that Grandfather was also my personal hero. When he was eight years of age and knew how to read and write his father made him drop out of school and go to work. He carried water ten hours a day, six days a week, for the workers on the railroad. Try this today and you find yourself in jail. His dad was John Deere's head groundskeeper in Moline, Illinois. In 1902, for reasons I'm clueless, the family moved to Boone, Iowa. My grandfather would have been 14 years of age.

When I was around twenty-five I was in his home and he started telling me about his father and his attitudes toward their adopted country. His father was born in Euskirchen Germany and with his wife came to this country around 1884. My grandfather, Johann, later Anglicized to Joseph, told me one Sunday morning the words his father told the family about this country. He said, "When you're in your own home you can speak German. But, when you go out the front door you will speak English because we're all Americans now.

So, my big bugaboo is with foreigners who do not bother to learn the language. The main idea of immigration is assimilation into society. It's not that way. You see, I'm not with the program of letting people come across the southern border willy-nilly.  We have brought into this nation since August 60,000 Afghani's and not a single one has been vetted. Can you say, Osama bin Laden? To date illegals in this country have come from 152 different nations. Somebody convince me we're not allowing terrorists, murderers, sexual predators and drug lords from coming in and I'll kiss your ass on Main Street at noon in New York City. Assimilation is a good word to describe not what is happening. Migrants, on the whole, do not want to follow the laws of a Judeo-Christian  society. It this was the case they'd drop their Muslim practices, stoning of women for not wearing a veil is significant as is taking girls as young as six years old for wives; four or five of them.

If you think what I'm writing is pessimistic you'd be 100% correct. Most great empires in history last about 400 years before they suck the bullet. We're well on our way, boys and girls.


No comments: