Tuesday, December 28, 2021

This That And The Other Thing From Dublin Ohio

 It's one of those dark drizzling rainy days in Dublintown. It's sending me a message: "turn on the television and make love to the couch until, oh, when I go to bed." When it comes to sunshine only Cleveland and Seattle have less sunny days as we. It's sort of like "Do I want to die in either of these three places" and the answer is not 'no'. Its hell no!

Charlie and I made a trip to the post office to mail a birthday card to my college baseball coach. He'll be ninety-one years young on January 1. I could have played at much larger schools than Coe College but as I look back on it I firmly believe God wanted me there because of this man; a wonderful husband, dad and mentor.

While at the PO I spoke with a guy named Hester. He's a sports fanatic and we always talk Buckeyes and Hawkeyes. He told me he had just had his 35th wedding anniversary. I mentioned that when we had our 25th The Queen asked me, "Am I worth a hundred dollars a year?" Of course, I answered in the affirmative and then she came back with, That's good because I just purchased a $2,500 ring."

As long as we're on anniversaries Her Majesty and I had our 52nd yesterday. We celebrated by ordering take-out from the Village Tavern in Dublin. They serve some kind of burgers.

After the post office we drove to Kroger's. I was in need of pretzels and extra sharp cheddar cheese. It's one of my go to snacks. Anyway, there were, and this is a guesstimate, 100 souls walking the aisles. I came across a lady who wasn't wearing a mask so just to be cordial I said to her, "We're going to have to go to the time-out room." Of course, she said, "Why" and I told her we both were maskless. She apologized; said she forgot hers. Trust me when I write I did not have a smart ass comeback.

My boy Charlie is darned smart-----and spoiled. I mean, look at that face. 


When we got home I pulled out a knife and began cutting slices of cheese. He saw what I was up to so in order to keep him from begging I went to his stash of dog bones and put one on the floor. Usually, he gobbles these up the way I eat M&Ms----by the handful, but he didn't touch it. He was waiting for a piece of cheese. Then, when I gave him a couple of small slices he went after the bone. I was looking at his picture and noticed how his muzzle is getting so gray. It happened almost overnight a couple months ago. It doesn't seem to bother him a bit but take away his cheese and he's like Godzilla on a rampage.

I've also made a New Year's Resolution and it's not to get fatter than fat; easier said than done.

I've decided to investigate a move back to the Midwest. It's sort of like elephants going home to die. There are a couple towns in Iowa I find very intriguing. One is Spencer in the NW part of Heaven. The other is Ames; a wonderful college town in Central Iowa. After 33 years in Central Ohio one would wonder why I want us to go home. Here's the deal: God spoke to me in a dream and said, "Man should not die in the eastern time zone." Let it be spoken. Let it be done.

No comments: