Sunday, December 19, 2021

The Signs Of The Times

 It's less than a week until Christmas and I didn't think about it until yesterday when I received a card from a fifty year friend. I'll blame this on old age except I still have a full box of cards I didn't open last year.

I'm at the point in life when I don't trust very many people. When I go to Sunday Mass I lock my car doors. That's sad. The same goes for anywhere I go and this going is usually with my Charlie. Today I had to mail one of the Queen's cards and drove to the Dublin post office. I pulled up to the large container and lo and behold it was so packed with cards they were coming out of the opening. I ask you this. Do you believe there are people, even in Dublin who not think twice about grabbing a few hundred envelopes? 

The number one cause for deaths of Americans between the ages of 18-45 is not cancer, guns, suicides. It is opioid deaths. It's a sign of the times. Suicides among teenage girls rose 50% the last two years. I wonder why that is. The first two words than come to mind is border and lockdowns.

What kind of president would go before the American people and say, "Get ready this winter for death from the Omicron varient.(one guy in England died to date)?

I told a friend of mine in North Carolina I might not write about my experience of last week but I'm going to.

In my life I've always had a soft spot for people who suffer in life. This 'soft spot' usually involves writing a check not knowing who's going to receive it and how it will be used. Last Monday I told the wife I was going to drive to western Kentucky, the site of the horrendous tornadoes, to offer my help. It's only a 7 hour drive so that wasn't a problem. Finding a motel within a 100 miles was due to the number of Americans who had the same idea as mine. 

I looked at the number of towns struck and decided on one called Dawson Springs, pop. 2500. The reason for this is because the median family income is only $22,000 a year. Kids make that much cash working at Wendy's.

,I don't want to describe the destruction as I drove into town other than to say, look at pictures of Hiroshima after the bomb was dropped. This is what I saw.

I spent the good part of my time talking with folks who lost everything but their lives. Ten citizens in this community didn't make it. 

What was brought home to me was these human beings, though not rich in materials, are richer than most in their beliefs in God and fellow man. The long story short is I wanted to help out those who needed cash most and I could directly hand it over to them. There was one lady who had as a business a truck. She drives around and sells sandwiches and soda during the day. This woman gave away $40,000 of her own money daily in the form of food stuffs. She's a saint.

But, it's the sign of the times that crime and corruption rear their ugly heads in the wake of tragedy. Dawson Springs and Princeton, fifteen miles away and also a town destroyed, had a number of scum bags come in at night and rummage through what were left of homes looking for whatever to steal. Four of them drove down from Michigan. I hope they rot in jail. 

I had an acquaintance, a liberal who lives in Arizona, email me and state, "I hope Uncle Sam gets involved real quick". That'd be nice but there's another story. Five days after the tornadoes I went to the local high school and what I saw were mountains of clothing for the taking. I saw food, an endless amount of food, all donated by the good people of this country without the government cobbling things up. And the goods keep coming. 

Praise God and the good people of Kentucky.

No comments: