Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Ronald Reagan, The NRA, The Declaration Of Independence

In the event you forgot it was forty years ago today Ronaldo Magnus we shot by John Hinckley. As Mr. Reagan was about to undergo surgery he said to the doctor, "I hope you'e a Republican." The doctor countered with, "Mr. President, today we're all Republicans. 

I'm fornuate in the fact I very much appreciated Mr. Reagan while he was in office. One time he was speaking before the NRA and there was one line in his speech we should all remember about guns and the Constitution. He said, "The Constitution does not say people have the right to keep and bear arms. It does say the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." That says volumes.

Those who signed the Declaration of Independence, in my opinion, were specifically placed on this earth by God to form the most perfect nation. For the most part the authors of Declaration were quite young. Thomas Jefferson was 26, Adams 33 when it was ratified. Jefferson at that youthful age authored the document. He initially placed in it that there be no slaves but southern signees were going to rebel so he left it out.  Another fact you might not know. On July 4, 1826, fifty years after the siging John Adams took his last breath. His final words were, "Jefferson outlives me." He did not know Jefferson had passed away five hours earlier. 

For the fourth time in writing this blog I'm going to refer to a student of mine my first year in education. The year was 1968. The lad's name was Augie Blake. He was a good kid but only 15 in this history class and this explains much. One day he had the gumption to say out loud, "Why study history. There ain't no future in it." I'd really love to find Augie today and ask him if he remembers. He'd be 68 years of age. I enjoy research. I do believe I'll give it a shot.

No comments: