Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Nation Of Dunces

This will be an off the cuff post. My daughter, son in law and grandchildren are about to arrive at our Minnesota lake cabin. The car is unloaded and groceries in the icebox(just to screw up anyone under fifty). We are the recipients of three television channels and up popped Brian Williams on the NBC Nightly News. Brian had a thirty second story and seemed to be pleased with the result. Here goes: "Four out of Ten Americans know which political party holds the House and which the Senate". Think about it.
This reminds me of Jesse Watters from O'Reilly's show when he does a segment called Watters World. Watters, in a humorous and non-condescending tone interviews people on the street asking questions with common sense answers. A few weeks ago he was on the campus of Princeton. The question was, "Who is the vice-President of the United States"? I'm sure the tape was edited but of the ten asked only one knew they answer. All of them knew that Happy was the Academy Award winning song. Nuff said.
I think I've come across the reason for this cultural demise and if you hang with me I can present it better in the next post. This is what's called a tease.

No comments: