Tuesday, March 17, 2015

This 'n That From Dublin Ohio

It's NCAA basketball week; my very favorite time of year. The State of Iowa, where my heart lies, has three entrants in the field. That, my friends, is 75% of the Division I schools from Hawkeyeland.

Louisville, Kentucky is only a three hour drive from Dublin. My beloved Iowa State Cyclones are playing this Thursday. My buddy is an ISU alum so I thought it'd be nice if we drove down and watched. NCAA game attendance is not priced for the common man. Tickets for that session of two games is running at $269 apiece. Can you say, "Hello couch"?

Starbucks is increasing awareness for better race relations. They want their servers, aka baristas, to initiate conversations about how to bring about a kinder and gentler nation. All I want from Starbucks is a Grande dark roast, no room for cream, thank you. If I wanted a conversation in better race relations I'd drive down to Martin Luther King, Jr. Street. Either that or attend the Drake Relays.

Speaking of coffee one doesn't have to be from Dublin, Ohio to appreciate this delicious bit of info. If you are a lover of the bean check out your World Market. If you don't have one then you're out of luck. The store carries a variety of tasty brands. I happen to be an aficionado of French Roast. Get this. A 2 pound bag will cost $9.99. Better yet, Wednesday is double bonus coffee day so a person can build up points. We on fixed incomes appreciate this greatly. As for the coffee. It's to die for.

If you develop high blood pressure and take pills for it there are a couple of things you should know. The first is you'll get woozy, fall down and feel like your head is spinning. Secondly, when outside the home make absolutely certain you have almost immediate access to a restroom. Fast food restaurants are a life saver. Map out your route first for the best and the most. It happens that quickly. Never, under any circumstance leave home within five minutes of eating. Trust me. I know

My daughter taught me this trick. If a child, say three years old who belongs to her, drops a cell phone in the toilet immediately put it in the freezer. It works.

Call someone on the telephone you haven't seen in years. I called a man who was in my life 39 years ago. We had a grand time and promised to get together this June. It will make both of you feel wonderful.

I have gone seven days without doing anything utterly stupid; no scraping of the car bumper, breaking a glass, destroying an article close to my heart. It's a record. My wife thinks I'm a stranger who has taken over my body.

Are you as sick of politics as I? For me, no more Fox(except for The Five and Martha MacCallum--Ooh-la-la). No more Rush. I'm into music, especially from the 1940's and 1970's. If you enjoy listening to any and all tunes use your computer to find Spotify.com. It's a winner and your mind will be able to function. Plus, you won't swear nearly as much.

This almost kills me to write. The boys who were seniors on my first high school basketball team turn 64 this year. It doesn't seem fair.

Golf season is upon me. My hope is I can equate my pitiful performance of last year. Consistency is extremely important. I won't be joining a club, either. I've decided it'd be more fun to try and sneak on. Who would stop a 69 year old man? If caught I'll fake dementia.

Dublin is such a beautiful community. It's too bad every street is under construction.









No comments: