Wednesday, May 20, 2015

LA Approves $15 minimum wage

In the big scheme of life an increase from $7.25 to $15 per hour doesn't seem like such a big deal. After all, the Clinton's earned $30 million in the last year for talking. Bill received $165 large for speaking to a group via a satellite hook up. Whatever the market will bear, I say. Go for it unless there's a quid pro quo but that wouldn't be the case with the Clinton's. Would it?

It's sort of like Obama getting elected then blaming him for being inept instead of the people who put him in office.

The minimum wager earners, all 800,000 in Los Angeles, got an extra candy cane in their socks a few days ago with an increase in pay that was more than doubled.

There are some unseen ramifications, though. These workers will unionize meaning they can kiss a good deal of their extra gift good-bye. The positive is they'll receive a shirt with SEIU printed on the backside(which they'll be required to pay out of their union dues).

It is now estimated the price of a hamburger will jump .50 cents per. Some will continue to purchase and others won't. This kind of torques me off because, and this is a rare occasion, I'll stop off at McDonald's or Wendy's and buy two junior sandwiches at a buck apiece. By the way, the next time you stop in one of these fast food places you'll notice that the pricey items are printed in big bold letters. The inexpensive ones(aka less costly) will require a magnifying glass to find. I think they're trying to tell you something.

I haven't seen this in person but I've read that the cash registers have pictures on them instead of numbers. For instance, if you order a chicken sandwich the trained and highly educated employee will press a picture of a chicken. For a burger it's a cow and so on.

Always, after getting your change, count it. I once took the time to teach a young man how to count change. It's a lost art. Most often I'll receive my change, bills included, glommed together in one lump sum like you'd hand someone a clump of dirt. Then I expect to hear, "Now kid, be on your way".

When I place an order I always ask for these condiments: catsup, mustard, pickles, onions. This is standard fare so I expect it that way. How many thousand of times I have taken my bag to my car, opened the sandwich only to spy a dry burger with lettuce and tomatoes? I think they do this just to irritate the hell out of me. Mission accomplished.

The third worst place to buy fast food is in a small town in the South. It's like going back in time to a mountain town in Croatia. Most likely it's my fault because I speak Midwestern and they speak a combination of Hatfield and McCoy with a bit of Cajun thrown in for effect.

The second worst place is in the inner city. It's become a habit for me to slide in the door and work my way to counter with my back to the wall.

The first worst place to purchase fast food is where the help is absolutely 100% ignorant and ill-mannered. And the bulk of these are the ones who are getting that $15 minimum wage increase.

No comments: