Sunday, March 7, 2010

Team Mascots







If you follow my posts you'll know I write a good deal about my home state of Iowa. I hate to admit this but I started thinking about team mascots in church today. God forgive me, I did everything possible to 'Christian up" and it worked until I got home to complete the thought.
My old high school has as it's mascot a toreador. I'd bet our school is the only one in the USA with a sequined sissy to instill terror into an opponent. And the wierd thing is when we were in high school we didn't give it much thought. To this day I cannot tell you the name of the person who wore the costume. Except, 'it' might have been a girl. Many years ago our school received, as a gift, a toreador uniform. It came from a Hollywood director who graduated from BHS, or so the story goes. Voila! A mascot is born. Our school colors were red and green. They came from the uniform which also had as its colors black, silver and pink. Every time we scored a touchdown or won a game the Toreador twirled the cape.
I know a lot about team names and logos. Did you know that there are two high schools in Illinois with the nickname of "Pretzels"? There's another called the Appleknockers.
Since we now live in Ohio I always question my friends about being a "Buckeye". They are tough nuts to crack is about the only explanation I get.
The Iowa Hawkeyes have a mascot named Herky the Hawkeye. It's an okay one. Twenty some years ago their then football coach, Hayden Fry, came up with a logo for the team. It was called the Tigerhawk. If you cock it to the right a quarter turn you will see a nice picture of Barney Rubble.

No comments: