Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Nooses


It's another example of how I'm out of the mainstream and the people are suffering from political correctness. Have you heard about the student at the University of San Diego who put up a hangmen's noose in the school library? I think he was a black student but that doesn't make any difference. Well, actually it does. Had he been white, all kinds of bells would have gone off, civil rights groups contacted and the U of SD would have commissioned feel good groups to have meetings. Anyway, the guy, anonymously, apologized.
Somewhere around 1978 I came across a hangmen's noose. The length of the rope was a foot or so beyond the knots. It was my twelfth year as a high school social studies instructor. There were always pictures on my classroom walls. When my students got tired of listening to me they could look around the room and see something of interest. In my mind that was better than looking out the window. The noose was placed in front of the classroom---next to the American flag. Whoa! That noose was in that same place for the next ten years and no one, not once, complained. Minority students didn't hire lawyers; not the Blacks, Orientals or American Indians.
During my twenty years as a high school instructor there were hundreds of 'controversial' items put on the walls to get me in a jam in today's climate. When discussing the WWII period I hung German flags with swastikas and I put up flags of Imperial Japan. Today, the 'Rising Sun' flag would be accepted with sympathy because the dastardly, imperialistic USA dropped the A-bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Displaying the Nazi flag would get me fired.
I've given serious thought to volunteering in the classroom, again. At my age and with my experience I figure I've got a lot to offer. After a few minutes an invisible hand slaps my face and brings me back to reality. In our pc world of today I'd be asked by our principal to leave the building before my butt hit my desk chair.

No comments: