Sunday, September 12, 2010

It's That time Of Year Again


With coffee in hand and writing on the computer at 6:30 am this morning I happened to gaze out the window at our Minnesota lake. The sun was just rising and the beauty of the scenery was over powering. A slight southerly breeze sent tiny ripples across the water. An azure blue sky complimented the beauty of the lush greenery of the pines. One single loon was on the water. It's a memorable sight. It also reminded me how quickly the seasons change. Just eight short weeks ago the sun was coming up at 4:30 and the last vestiges of light were erased around 11 pm. Sometimes, the northern lights can be seen. Today the sun will set and darkness will overwhelm us by 8 pm. And so it goes.
I will be busy the next two days getting the place closed for the winter. I've winterized the boat and put away various pieces of yard furniture. The dock will be taken in and I'll mow the yard. This seems sort of silly to do since dormancy is the law of the land but Lizzie likes things to be just so; not a single blade of grass taller than another. If it makes her happy it makes me happy.
There's a tradition in the family when we leave. We walk down to the shoreline, gaze at the water for a few minutes to remember, then say good-bye. It's a sad time, especially for the wife.
My big adventure begins on Wednesday. I will drive three and a half hours to a small community named Bewabik. It's the home of a golf course called Giant's Ridge. It is one of those 'must places to play' for golf addicts. Summertime fees run at around 230 clams but at this time of year it's $52 with a cart. That's my kind of price. After my round I'll drive 90 miles south to Duluth to hook up with seven men from Oklahoma for my first fishing fly-in to northern Ontario. From Duluth we'll drive eight and a half hours north to Armstrong, Ontario then hop a plane for another three hour flight in the direction of the Arctic Circle. I've never been in a cigar with wings so you can imagine I'm more than apprehensive. Last year the boys caught 4,000 various types of Ontario's finest in eight days. I hope it works out the same but, for some reason, I often times have the reverse Midas touch. Let's hope not.
A promise is a debt unpaid so I promise that this will be my last post until the very latter part of September. Gosh, I pray the plane doesn't go down in flames. Just to put my mind at ease, I'll have my rosary in my pocket.

No comments: