Thursday, September 30, 2010

Kags Lake

One bucket list 'to do' and it's over. It was an eight day trip to the bush on lake Kagianagami, latitude of 50 degrees 57 minutes and longitude of 87 degrees 50 minutes. In other words, it was way up north.
I learned a great deal about myself on the fishing fly-in to northern Ontario....
I am not an outdoorsman. I have a new found respect for Lewis and Clark, Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone. By myself, with no one to guide and feed me, I would have been dead in twenty-four hours. My idea of roughing it is a Hyatt Regency with black and white TV. Thank God for Buff and Gator. These guys can make pancakes out of sticks. They can turn three fishes and two loaves of bread into enough to feed the multitudes. Seven men in a shack for eight days experienced head and chest colds, rain, cold weather and rough lake waters. Kags Lake is 20,000 acres large and we had it to ourselves. Recall that last year these fellas fished in Manitoba and caught nearly 4,000 fish in eight days. On this trip we might have, combined, pulled in almost 100. I added eleven of Ontario's best to the list: four walleye, three northern pike and four lake trout. I brought home three walleye and one trout for the dinner table. My computation is that each fish cost me $158.48 per. Time between catch averaged four hours and fifteen minutes. Bear in mind, three of the trout were caught in a fifteen minute period. I also learned that I do indeed have the reverse Midas touch. Common refrains from the other guys centered around a phrase like this, "I've never seen the fishing this bad". Well, guys, you never had me with you. I can take gold and turn it into coal.
I also learned that I'm not the fisherman I always thought I was. Buff is the king of fishing. He can tie knots like no one has seen. He catches fish when they aren't supposed to be there. On his first catch, a very nice walleye, I grabbed my newly purchased lip grabber. Oops! Lost it for my buddy. It was nice of him not to say anything. Buff can read a fish finder like Sutter could find gold. He marked a nice spot and had me throw a plastic marker in the water. I threw it but didn't drop a weight so it floated aimlessly around. I could see the look on his face: "what is this guys' problem"?
I thoroughly enjoyed the company, especially Gator. He's a true Okie from Muskogee. Southern boys can tell stories better than anyone. Gator tells good ones. He also makes biscuits and gravy for breakfast. It's supposed to be good. Just the thought of hot flour and water early in the morning makes me gag but the other men relished it. Just another reason I'm not outdoorsy. Here's a clue as to my worthlessness in the wild. The only thing I was capable of doing was wash and dry dishes. Pathetic aren't I?
There is a possibility that I was part of the group inclusion. On our last night I was summoned to the fire pit and given an eternal name. It is, Shi-ta'. I will forever be known by that glorious Indian name. If you can't figure it out the meaning is closely akin to CRS or "can't remember s**t" disease. You could place me in an 8X12 room with a Volkswagon and I'd find some way to misplace it.
Anyway, I had fun and met some wonderful people. It was worth the cost. Next stop on the bucket list; a Massey's pizza. Remember. I do best when I think small.

No comments: