Thursday, November 2, 2017

If You Enjoy Sports Turn Off The Television

Americans, for the most part, are obsessed with sports. This years World Series has already been referred to as one of the best in history. Personally, I very much enjoy watching athletes in action but I've gotten to the point that unless a team from Iowa is playing I have no interest. Turn on your television on any Fall Saturday and you'll have a choice of twenty or so games. Let me think: Will I watch Tennessee vs. Florida State? Probably not because I don't care.

The NBA is just begun and the NFL is halfway through their season. I haven't watched five seconds of the NFL this season. It has nothing to do with my patriotic feelings. But, due to the controversy, I flat out don't care.

Let  me make a suggestion.There is a sports venue that is oft times ignored and it shouldn't be. If you enjoy pure, innocent sport where athletes try their very best why not adopt a local high school team?

My older sister absolutely loves sports. She's a huge fan of the Chicago Cubs and anything that has to do with the Iowa State Cyclones. A few years ago she got a job as a lunch room ticket puncher at my former high school. Obviously, she got to know some of the kids as she was they first one they saw entering the cafeteria.

Sometime during the school year she immersed herself into all, and I mean all, of the school's sports activities. She began showing up at all the events, both at home and on the road. Very soon the student body noticed the 'lunch room lady' was at the games. This loyalty is good for her and good for the school and community.

I have the money but don't feel as though I want to spend a $50 dollar bill to watch the Columbus Blue Jackets. Besides, that's why televisions were invented. Go watch the Ohio State Buckeyes? It'd be okay If I wanted to drop a C note or more.

I have a suggestion for all and with the professional climate the way it is I'm going to take advantage of what's available to me. You should too.

There are many very outstanding football, basketball, softball players, etc. in your community. They play hard and they play well. In Dublin, Ohio we have three large high schools that yearly turn out division I athletes.

I happen to be a volunteer high school baseball coach at Dublin Coffman High School. After a twenty-nine year hiatus from high school coaching last year was my first time getting back in action. It was an experience of a lifetime. I'll do it again in '18.

Get involved with your local high school team. On average it costs $4 to get in to see kids who are playing the game of their choice for the pure love of competition.

I promise you won't be sorry.

No comments: