Thursday, March 8, 2018

The 35 Point Spread

This is the time of year when boys and girls high school basketball finals are in progress. Since I'm an Iowan by birth I was able to livestream the boys finals taking place in Des Moines.

There were a couple kids of interest on my radar playing in the tourney and I wanted to give them a look see because of the press they've received all through the year.

Iowa has four classes to determine state champions. Class 1-A being high schools with the smallest of enrollments. Class 4-A is the largest.

Yesterday afternoon I happened to be looking at a game from the 1-A level between Dyersville Don Bosco and North Linn of Coggin. The final score was 74-51 in favor of Coggin. It was then the television announcer made a statement about the winning team that I would have made in the '60's. It blew my mind.

Iowa has instituted a rule saying when a team gets 35 points ahead of its opponent after half time the clock runs continuously. You might call it the 'mercy rule'. Its probably a good rule to have. No kid wants to be embarrassed in any sport.

Back to my announcer friend: This game was the first game since the beginning of the 2017-18 season for Coggin the 'mercy rule' wasn't instituted. And it was Coggin's lowest score of the season. Mindboggling! It is to this former coach, anyway.

No comments: