Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Words Of Encouragement Are Much Appreciated

Today is day 7 of my post operative hip replacement. I'm glad I didn't have my butt replaced because then I could tell the truth: It's a pain in the ass.

Awhile back I wrote about every so often looking for communities to relocate in my waning days, preferably in the Midwest. One of my great fears is we'll actually move and then after six months I'll think, "Gosh, I wish we would have stayed in Dublin, Ohio. This truism has been borne out in the last few days.

When a rental company brought in a hospital bed a week ago the owner was telling me I should consider a recliner chair. I didn't want to putz around so I told him 'No, I'll stick with the bed'.

Last Friday I reconsidered and they brought out the chair at $175 more but, hey, what price pain and comfort? Yesterday I spent the day in my chair. It is easier getting into and out of especially when I have to constant urinal visits. Last night I tried to fall asleep at 10 pm. I knew it was going to be a lost cause because I had a bad case of the 'jimmy legs' and nodded off sometime around midnight and 1 a.m. I should have stuck with the bed.

I've received two very nice emails regarding my hip surgery in the past week from a Boonite who was a couple of years behind me in school. He lives in the Washington D.C. area. It's always so nice receiving words of encouragement after a surgery. It's even nicer when those words are from someone from your old home town. Boone, Iowa is like a hot bowl of Campbell's soup with crackers. Both supply great comfort. Boonies are like an extended family even though most of us have been flung to the far corners. I suppose all people feel this way about their hometowns and how there is a lifelong  bond. But, I'll pretend it's only this way for those of us who grew up in Central Iowa.


No comments: