Saturday, May 20, 2023

His Bank Account Must Be Getting Low

 In the last senatorial election in Ohio I went to work for a fella who------tah dah-------lost. This seems to be my modus operandi; supporting losers if ya' know what I mean. My memory is somewhat shady when it comes to the 1960's but I do recall sitting in a sociology class at Coe College and picked up on one thing my professor said about candidates for office. As I think about that long ago utterance and remembering a sociology class something utterly shocks me. I mean, don't we all sleep through soc classes? Anyway, the professor asked the class if a candidate for office would prefer volunteers give him(or her) thirty hours of their time or fifteen dollars? The prof's answer was the cash and after all these years I'm in agreement.

Take, for example, this announcement:


And it's not only Christie who has thrown his hat in the ring. There are now four or five wannabes in the Republican Party who have told us they want to be in a position where we want to blow our brains out thinking about their dumb policies. Does Christie stand a chance? Does snowball in Hell ring a bell?

Sometime in the election cycle of 2016 I jumped onboard the campaign wagon of Scott Walker. Remember him? Ninety per cent of those who answer will say, "Huh?" Walker was the governor of Wisconsin. I thought he was a good man and would make a fine president especially considering our choices. So, I did something I had never in my life done for any candidate. I made out a check for $100 and plopped it in the mail. Exactly twenty-four hours later Walker dropped out of the race. And then three days after that my check was returned. If you believe that last sentence you're dumber than Biden and Kamala combined. What these candidates do with their cash is what I wanted to do with a friend of mine who lives in Oklahoma. He asked me to go on a walleye fishing trip with him to Manitoba. I didn't because, at this time in my life, I didn't have the six thousand large to fund it. And if candidates don't go on fishing trips they'll use your money to fund their rather opulent lifestyles. Do I sound cynical? Am I right?

If I was really, really smart and devious I'd announce I was running for president of these United States. P.T. Barnum said it over one hundred-fifty years ago about suckers and it still rings true. I absolutely know after my announcement of being the next person to lead the country out of the wilderness I'd have more money than the Astor family. It's the way politics works.


No comments: