Saturday, May 27, 2023

Why Do People Steal

 I've never been one to steal. I don't believe in taking property belonging to others. Maybe it's because I grew up in a Catholic school and if I'm not mistaken one of the Ten Commandments given by God to Moses was, 'Thou Shalt Not Steal'. For my entire life I've followed that law. Oh, don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm perfect. I remember as a six year old I wanted to buy a couple packs of baseball cards from Shafer's Grocery Story and I didn't have any money. My grandmother, who lived with us, had a coin purse on a shelf in our kitchen. One day I took a dime out of it. It's not that big of a deal but, then again, in my mind it must be so because that bit of thievery was seventy-two years ago and I still feel guilty.

I'm not an expert on stealing. There must be a variety of reasons as to why. Okay, if you have no food in your house with three kids to feed and your husbands hit the bricks--well, this could be a reason. I've recently read it's okay for some to loot and rob stores because white people have practiced racism over the years and this kind of stealing is a justifiable payback. I could go on and on and on with reasons as to why it's right and proper to take from others but you get the drift.

Today, May 27 I am personally hurt because I had an item stolen from me I've held onto since 1984. It was a gift from my then boss to me and I treasure it for its historical value and because my boss, the man whom I respected more than any in the world, gave it to me.

My boss was an inventor. He came up with thirty-six different patents in his life to make society better for all people. Most of his inventions dealt with the industrial world. His products saved businesses millions up millions of dollars. I always told him he was to the industrial world what Steve Jobs was to computers. He liked that.. 

One of his creations was a special type of golf club that became a staple in that field. In the early 1980's my boss, the great and wonderful David C. Orlowski, invented the very first titanium golf club. It preceded every other golf club of that type put out by the big time manufacturers. My boss was a traditionalist. His club was made with a persimmon head and had a titanium insert. When he retired he sold that part of the business to Louisville Golf Comp. 

In my man cave I have a number of unique, valuable and rare bits of golf memorabilia. One of these items was that special titanium golf club.

I love hitting golf balls at driving ranges. I've hit thousands upon thousands of buckets of balls at ranges all over the country. One of my favorite places to do this is at a driving range in Westerville Ohio which is located in that suburb on the north side of Columbus. I live in Dublin, a twenty minute drive from that special place. I visit this range four times weekly and while there commune with ten or fifteen fellas. We hit balls and chit chat about the events of the day. It's an enjoyable outlet for all of us.

Last week I was telling the fellas about my special club and promised I'd bring it in to show them and I did. Last Thursday I passed it around and told them the story of its history. I then put it back in my golf bag. 

I'm one trusting soul. I'm not one to think the worst of others unless, of course, I happen to be walking downtown some city where I could get mugged or worse. When I go to a golf course or driving range I do not expect to see a George Floyd type person hitting golf balls on the mat next to me. Golfers, for me, are a different breed of cat. I truly believe the 'Gentlemen's game' is just that. On the course I've seen people lie about their scores but these phonies are few and far between.

Last Thursday I took my very special driver to show the guys. When I was finished talking about it I put it back in my bag. I'm at the range for two hours or so. During that time I'll walk inside the clubhouse to get a cup of coffee or I'll hit the head. Thievery never crosses my mind. Call naive but I'm just this way.

When I got home I noticed my King Cobra #6 hybrid was missing. I kicked myself figuring I'd put it down someplace and not in my bag. My fault, right? I went back to the range and it had not been turned in so I chalked my loss up to my irresponsibility. As I drove into my garage upon returning home I saw my neighbor. He's a golfer and I told him about the titanium club. I pulled my bag out of the truck of my car and guess what? The special driver was not in the bag. I specifically remember putting that club in the bag after I'd shown it around. I didn't even take a swing with it.

As for the lost 6 hybrid I took the blame on that one but when my collector's item was missing I realized it had been stolen. I'm angry and I'm hurt because golfers are not supposed to do these things. 

So, I'm trying to analyze what the thief did and why and I can't come up with a good scenario. They surely can't play the game with it because it isn't the type of club anyone today would use. Will they display it in their home and if they do will their conscience bother them every time they look at it or show it off? Will they try and sell it? I doubt it would garner them much cash. 

The finality of it is I am really hurt and not because of the loss of the club but because people have destroyed my confidence in our honesty and integrity as a people. Whoever stole this stole a memory and that bothers me.

So, I ask you again. Why do people steal?

No comments: