Friday, October 2, 2009

Lawyers

I was caught by surprise when I found out there were only 132 lawyers in the House of Representatives and 60 in our current Senate; thought there would be more. I don't know why it's such a big deal to be a lawyer. Have you ever looked through a phone directory? There are more of them than there are Chins in a Peking directory. The monster question for me is, what does being a lawyer have to do with being able to pass laws for the benefit of the people? The impact these yo-yo's have on our everyday lives is bigger than most of us can comprehend yet we let them decide cradle to grave life styles. I guess it's no different than that of teacher's. Just because someone has a license to teach doesn't necessarily mean the have the knowledge e.g. one of my fellow western civ com padres insisted bourgeoisie was pronounced, burr-gus-eez. I had another who taught Theodore and Franklin were brothers and a third instruced his students that the War Between the States occurred from 1851-55. They were respected because of the degree not the ability to perform. At least until people saw them in action.
Thomas Jefferson might have had it correct when he stated that only farmers should have the right to vote due to their everyday life experience.

No comments: