Saturday, March 18, 2023

Idle Thoughts From Dublin Ohio

 It's a Saturday morning, the cup is full o' joe and I'm ready to take on the day doing what I do best which is rocking in my chair.

All three of my Iowa NCAA basketball teams are in the dust bin of history which is okay. Some might say, "wait til next year." I say," at age 77 there might not be a next year so why get all shook up?"

I'll get the negative thoughts out of the way first. I've been extremely concerned about the world situation in the past few days. Can you say Ukraine and Russia? I contacted a man who is my all-time, all-world favorite Catholic priest and called upon him to hear my Confession. If I have to go I want my soul cleansed by the best. If you wanted to learn how to hit a baseball would you ask a Joe DiMaggio type person or someone like Her Majesty?

I've always thought in order to illustrate the evils of a society we should focus on the way we treat the littlest. For instance, Not only does the Left believe it's  good and proper to cut off the penis of a six year old and fill his body with sex altering drugs they think those who oppose it should be silenced. And this thinking goes all the way to the top of those running the country. Along this same line America's teachers, many of them, get way too much credit for being intelligent. Whew! I'm glad I got this off my chest.

Another sign of the times in regard to aging: I'm in the process of divesting myself of items I've collected over the years. In my garage are three large fishing tackle boxes loaded with everything imaginable to make me an expert. I have eight rods and ten fishing reels. I've boxed up 80% of these items and shipped them to my fifteen year old Oklahoma granddaughter. She's an avid fisherwoman and the nice aspect of this is I was happy to do it. The next item on the agenda will be the passing on of golf equipment. I have more of these items than a PGA Store.

The Queen will be in Iowa for four days next week. Know what that means? I'll have to stock up on tomato soup, peanut butter, bread, crackers along with milk and make absolute certain our microwave is functioning properly.

Is it only me or does it seem to you what's presented on television, especially channels like ABC, NBC and CBS, is absolute garbage? I limit myself to certain shows on Fox, some sports events if they happen to involve a team from the Hawkeye state. If you're a regular reader of this blog you know what's coming next, right? As with most men over the age of 55, 50% according to the Nielsen ratings, the Hallmark Channel is the leader of the pack. Granted, these people have become somewhat 'Woke'(I hate this word) this past year with a couple of gay productions being presented but, all in all, I'm still a fan. Besides, if a limp wristed dude is in the production I can always change the channel. The high priestess of Hallmark is now Lacey Chabert. She's a cutie alright. My favorite film is one titled The Christmas Waltz. If you're a guy and want to watch two hours of a story where you don't have to think give it a chance.

I watched the PGA tournament from Florida last week. Well, I saw some of it. Anyway, on the TV screen participants in the event had there names scrolled across the screen. Folks, of the twenty shown   I recognize four or five. What's that tell ya'? I stared intently at the names wondering why I wasn't seeing Arnold Palmer of Jack Nicklaus. And where the heck is Lee Trevino these days. Trevino had a great quote about golf and pressure: "If you want to know what pressure is like on the golf course make a five dollar bet with only two dollars in your wallet."

That's it for the day. My coffee mug is empty.


No comments: