Friday, March 24, 2023

When The Queen's Away The Mice Don't Play

 What a difference forty years makes. Her Majesty is in Iowa taking care of some family business which involves 'it would be better if I wasn't around' activities. I was thinking about how getting older changes a man's plan of action. For instance, in the old days if The Lady took off for a few days I'd plan non-stop golf outings followed by hours of sloshing Budweiser at Buffalo Wild Wings. Then, I'd crash in my bed and wake up the next day to repeat the process. It doesn't work that way anymore. If I tried it today I'd be dead before the sun comes up in the morning.

Since the 'Ruler of the Domain' is gone I do more less strenuous activities that don't abuse my body. I have a priest friend who is the epitome' of what a man of the cloth is supposed to be so I asked him to go to lunch. We went to a restaurant in Hilliard Ohio and I liked it from the get go. It had one of those homey small town atmospheres; red and white checkered table cloths and waitresses with smiles that weren't forced. It also helps when they address you as 'Darlin'. Regardless, we sat down in a booth perusing the menu. I ordered an omelette with fruit and since it was a Lenten Friday omitted the meat. The padre decided on tilapia with potatoes and a side of applesauce. Oh yeah, we each downed a cup of coffee. 

I'm not one of those guys who scans the bill for errors. I don't even think about it. I look at the cost, figure in a tip and ask for a pen then sign as if I'm in a coma. After lunch I dropped the Pope guy off at his office then drove the 20 minutes to my condo when it hit me. "Why did the bill come to $40.00 when I know my eggs cost $9.89?" Evidently, two cups of coffee and one tilapia lunch totalled out at $30.00! This doesn't seem right, does it? Maybe, just maybe those waitress smiles were a ruse and calling me darling was a scam.

There is no moral to the story except I got suckered.

No comments: