Saturday, April 4, 2009

Banana Cream Pie

It's the neat little things in life that make it so grand; those that give unbridled contentment.
I made one of those 'necessary' trips to the old hometown two days ago. We lost a classmate to cancer. I was very close to his wife's family so I attended the services and I'm pleased that I did. There were many from my Class of '64 in attendance and, regardless of the circumstances, funerals are for the living; mostly visiting with long forgotten friends and acquaintances.
Since I was only four hours away from the home of my son, his wife and two of my beautiful grandchildren I shot on down to Olathe, Kansas after the services. Evie, my four year old princess, came running out to greet me on my arrival. I loved it when she said, "Grandpa"! Her arms were open and her lips were puckered.
One of the very best of the little things is this. My daughter-in-law knows how to create my very favorite "special" pie. She's one of only two people I've ever known who can do it. It's a banana cream pie but it's more than that. It's "hot" banana cream pie. It congeals. It holds together. It's bananalicious. Oh Mama!

No comments: