Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Jeep Trip Through Montana

I had a co-worker once tell me he felt like he'd been on a "jeep trip through Montana". It's when you jump in your car, clothes packed but not sure you have the right ones for "whatever" occasion, start driving in some direction and end up going the wrong way(for awhile), forget a road map because you think you can follow the sun. Trouble is it rains for eight solid hours. It's when you make a trip "willy nilly". "Now, where the heck is my cell phone? Oh crap! I left it at home". Do you know how many pay phones there are between Dublin, Ohio and Central Iowa? None. Zip. Nada. I became an expert at this approach. "Excuse me. Seems I left my cell at home. Could I use yours for a minute?"
For some reason I was under the impression my 91-year old mother was on deaths door so I drove "willy nilly" two days ago to get to my ma's house. I practiced my good-by speech a number of times. "Damn rain. Will it never stop"? "Now, how the heck did I get lost in Peoria? I've driven this highway thousands of times". Oh well, I'll just take this back road. Can't be more than twenty minutes from I-74. "Good God. That hour and a half was a lot longer than the twenty I expected. MaComb, Illinois! You gotta be sh****n me! Well, it's only an hour an a half to Davenport. What the heck. I'm tired. I'll throw caution to the wind and stay in Walcott, Iowa for the night. It is the world's largest truck stop. I bet there were four hundred trucks here and every one of them fired up right outside my motel room window at five a.m.
Up and at 'em. Just four more hours of driving "in a typhoon". I wish I had a good cigar but with some dark roast coffee I'll survive.
I made it. Finally home. "Well, here I come and what to expect I don't know," I tell myself. AND there she is, sitting on the living room couch, reading a book, sandwich on a tray in front of her. She looks frail but is happy to see me. All is well for awhile longer.
"I feel like I've been on a jeep trip through Montana".

No comments: