Thursday, May 6, 2010

This Isn't Political. It's Common Sense


Okay, this isn't political but it does have a salient point to it. If you think it's political you aren't grasping my thought process. Alright, it's not my thought process but that of Glenn Beck. I used to watch Mr. Beck regularly but had stopped until tonight. I'd had a very bad golf game today and I was commiserating on my backside as I am prone(no pun intended) to do.
Beck showed a clip of Obama speaking to the Quincy,Illinois crowd on April 27. He, the President, was saying how poorly written the Arizona immigrant law was and he used a very childish example for illustration. Obama said, "what if you(dark skinned folks) are out with your kids to get ice cream and the police pull you over to ask for your papers. Isn't this just dumb? In the first place, the law in Arizona specifically prohibits unwarranted searches. Secondly, and this was Beck's point: What a slap in the face to our people in uniform that they would be put in the same position as the SS or the Gestapo. Didn't the SS kick down doors? Don't know about you but it's been years since Eichmann kicked in my front door. Hah! I lied. It's never happened. God knows being a member of law enforcement has enough risks without taking on harassment lawsuits. I say, if you don't want to get arrested don't break the law. Don't yell at a cop and call him "Pig". Don't spit on his shoes, either. I have an idea. If you've got a couple of bucks in your wallet why not go up to "Officer Friendly" and tell him you'd like to pay for his coffee. If you're a real spender buy him lunch and say "thank you for what you do". The community in which I live, Dublin, Ohio probably has some domestic violence infrequently. As for stealing, I suppose a 1st grader might steal a pack of gum. But, if you drive two miles south east into Columbus it's like Cambodia from the early 1970's. The police have a job I couldn't do---ever. As I mentioned in a recent column, it's against the law to be in this country illegally. We have enough problems that we don't need to spend our time rousting 'just anybody'. Could we please, please use common sense instead of having to put up with overreaction. That would be called "Sharptonizing".

No comments: