Thursday, September 26, 2013

I Hate This Lake

It's time to vent. Don't think this post is directed directly at you because I need to write before the volcano inside me erupts.
We have a cabin on beautiful Ten Mile Lake in north central Minnesota. It's 5,000 acres of spring fed water. It's also a lake where the fish go on permanent vacation between May and November.
I bought a boat, a fishing boat, on August 28, 2013. I was excited. It's a nice Lund boat with a 50 HP 4 stroke motor. It has plenty of storage space and a live well that's huge. That live well is waster of space. I have caught exactly one fish bigger than my hand and my hands are about the size of the small people in the movie, The Wizard of Oz.
Larry the Garbage Man, he runs the local dump, told me to go down to Angel Island and fish in water 15' deep with floating Rapalas, chartreuse in color. Larry the Garbage Man told me he catches five, six walleye every day. "Make sure you go between 2 PM and 5 PM. That's when the fish are jumping into the boat". So, I went down there any number of times and the only thing I accomplished was to use precious gasoline. Larry the Garbage Man lies so much he has to be a Democrat.
I was in the boat two evenings ago and felt a slight tug on my line. I figured if was seaweed so I reeled in. I had caught a 3" large mouth bass. My lure was 3" in length. I'll give that bass credit for one thing. He has a lot of confidence and a damned huge ego.
Not to be outdone by Billy Bass, a few minutes later another tug yielded a Northern Pike. I pulled out my tape measure. Just as I thought. It was 6' long.
In only four days I'll be going home to Dublin, Ohio. I can hardly wait. I hate this lake.

No comments: