Thursday, September 19, 2013

Two Stories About Benghazi

When I first heard the news about the recent D.C. shootings my response was, and I hate writing this, one of "Ho-hum, here we go again". I think I've become immune to these shootings. It's not that I don't care but I've become accustomed to violence and mass killings. I wait for the media to blame someone or something, usually Tea Party people or AR-15's. Check out the past mass shootings. They were all done by the mentally ill who also happened to be Democrats and Obama supporters.
There is one action that has been done against this country that terrifies me and has caused such anger that I can't express in harshest enough terms the hate I feel toward this current administration. And this is the Benghazi slaughter of September 11, 2012. The United States of America does not leave our soldiers behind. The cover up on these killings is a sin of the highest order.
I've had two circumstances in my recent life that illustrates how absurd is the Benghazi massacre.
This past summer, sometime in June, I was at my golf club and hooked up with a young man who was a high school history instructor. He taught in a large affluent suburban school outside Columbus, Ohio. The kid said he taught 10th graders. After our round he drove me to my vehicle. On my back window in the upper left hand corner I have a bumper sticker that reads: 'Remember Benghazi-They Let Them Die'. After I had unloaded my golf clubs I shut the hatch back and the kid was looking at the sticker. That's when he asked me, "What's Benghazi". My initial response was, "You've gotta be shi**ing me". Then in a calm voice I suggested he get on his computer and look it up. I even pulled out a sheet of paper and wrote Benghazi on it so he wouldn't forget.
Here's a teacher, an American History instructor, who had never heard anything about the killings. It's no wonder our children are so ill-informed. Just look at what's up in front of the classroom.
I came to our Minnesota lake cabin in late August to look for a fishing boat. I found one I thought I might like in Detroit Lakes which is an hour and a half from our cabin. I didn't want to buy off the internet so I drove over to give it a personal look. About half way there I was following a large SUV. It came to a stop on Highway 34 to make a left hand turn. I notice the back window was dirty and someone had, with a finger, written 'I love Daddy'. There were hearts drawn on the window, too. Because there is so much boat travel in Minnesota you'll find bypass roads on the right side of single lane highways. I pulled to the right to pass and went around the vehicle in front of me. This was a big mistake on my part because a mile later I saw, in my rear view mirror, that same car which had turned left in front of me now following with red lights flashing. Here's the long story short. Yes, it was a law enforcement guy, a deputy sheriff named Corey. He pulled me over because he said I was following too close and what I thought was a bypass lane was actually a turn right road. We went through the drill of he taking my license to check me out for outstanding tickets. I watched in my rear view mirror as he returned to my car with ticket book in hand. I'm unlucky in these situations so I resigned myself to paying a hundred dollar fine or whatever he wrote down. All of a sudden Corey stopped, looked at my bumper sticker for a few seconds, then put his book away. I was told to be careful and be on my way. Whew!
My wife told me she should never drive in my car with that sticker on it. She thinks we'll be attacked or shot. I told her, "Honey, 99.9% of the population is clueless when it comes to Benghazi. They'll think it's a rock band and they went out of existence because no one liked their music".
So, there you have it. One story of American ignorance and one story about American patriotism. I'm glad I had that sticker on my car.
If you'd like to purchase this sticker sticker* go to www.zazzle.com. It might save you some money.
*Zazzle is not owned by a relative of mine.

No comments: