Tuesday, July 15, 2014

There Is So Much I Don't Know

Do you ever do irresponsible things knowing that bad reults can happen but say to yourself, "Oh, what the heck"? Last night was one o f those. I had what is called a brain f--. Ah, you know what I mean. I was lying in bed deciding if I wanted to continue watching a TV show, one  I can't remember. I tend to do things bass akwards so I clicked off the bed lamp. Then I put my head back on my pillow, pulled out both hearing aids along with the batteries and tried to find a resting place for them on the nearby table. Next came my glasses. Thinking I'd tossed them close to the same spot off I went to la-la land. Sometime around 2 am I made my first of  hundred nightly trips to the john. As soon as I took my first step I heard, "crunch".  There was no doubt as to what I'd done. One or all parts of my glasses were an Abraham Lincoln aka history. This maneuver requires only one word, "Idiot"! I am a salesmen's best friend and I've always said my carelessness and stupidity fuel the economy.
After golf today I made a trip to Sam's Club to have the glasses repaired. That's when it hit me. As I watched the opticians assistant fix the bow of my spectacles my brain began to buzz. The famous Robert Kennedy quote hit me: "Some people see things as they are and say why. I see things as they could be and say why not". You see, I wonder about numerous aspects of life all day long and today was no different. Why is it when a glasses bow is attached to the main frame the screw is put in from the underside instead from the top. After all, as the micro sized screw loosens it could be seen top side. From the underneath, not a chance. Do you see how it works? My brain is a whirling dervish of questions and ideas. Screw, glasses frame, why: these are age old questions that need to be answered.
So, I was reading the net this evening and came across an article that put my screw problem in perspective. Gazounds! It blew my mind.

Cambridge, Mass. (CBS CONNECTICUT) – NASA predicts that 100 million worlds in our own Milky Way galaxy may host alien life, and space program scientists estimate that humans will be able to find life within two decades.
Speaking at NASA’s Washington headquarters on Monday, the space agency outlined a plan to search for alien life using current telescope technology, and announced the launch of the Transiting Exoplanet Surveying Satellite in 2017. The NASA administrators and scientists estimate that humans will be able to locate alien life within the next 20 years.

Call me foolish but I have to believe that my glasses question pales in comparison to what NASA had to say about alien life. Heck, The part about 100 million worlds in our Milky Way galaxy was a big deal to me. 100 million is more than John Kerry has in his wallet.
Could it be I'm not quite as deep as I formerly thought? Is it possible when I ask no one in particular, "Why is it I lose weight when I exercise and cut down on calories"?
I believe this might be one for Matt Lauer. It's much too deep for me.

No comments: