Thursday, April 30, 2015

Let's Call It Wisdom, Shall We

The title of the post was going to be, 'Words of Advice'. Lying in bed last night I knew that was bad. Think about it. Advice has a poor connotation. As an example, how many times in your life, usually early on, have you heard, "Son, let me give you some advice". Right away this sentence could come from parents, teachers, the police, a judge, your boss; anyone in a position of authority. Furthermore, the end result would be you're going to jail, you'll get an F, you're fired and on and on and on.

Wisdom is a much more benign word and more positive, too. I wish I had wisdom especially early on in life. I might not have smashed our car through the front door of our garage the same day it was built.
It's possible I could have written a masterpiece for the ages. It's even more possible I wouldn't have had to extricate my foot from my mouth more times than Wyatt Earp shot bad guys.

A few days ago while doing nothing it hit me. A bit of wisdom was offered to me by a person who didn't know he was going to improve my life and I've practiced it for the past five years. Then another piece of wisdom came to me and yet another until I'd come up with ideas to fill this column.

My dear friend now deceased, Robert Hoag, was a character. He was  a mover and shaker in Columbus, Ohio. He was the co-founder of Muirfield Village golf club, He was a golf playing partner of Jack Nicklaus for over forty years. On one particular day while chatting he made a profound statement. "Whenever I leave my house I want to dress like I'm going someplace special".

I liked that. It shows respect for yourself and for others. People notice and you'll feel better about yourself.

Watching The Five on Fox two weeks ago Dana Perino, the former White House Press Chief to George Bush, uttered a statement I've tried to practice for years but it often escapes me. She stated: "Every day say something nice about someone when they are out of earshot". Dollar to a donut(an Iowa saying) it'll get back to them before the cock crows the next morning.

My former boss was always coming up with words of wisdom, so many so that I kept a log on what he said. When he hired me I was given an order. "MJ, don't take this job for the money. Do the job well and the money will take care of itself". If only everyone had this attitude the prosperity of business would be multiplied tenfold.

Total and complete loyalty to your friends is the most important gift you can give them especially when they are experiencing trying times.

Always remember that the most significant commodity a person can give you is their time. We have only so much. Be appreciative of that and let them know how you feel. It is a compliment.

That's it except for my words of wisdom. Have another cup of coffee and enjoy your day.

No comments: