Saturday, July 2, 2016

One More Aspect About The Great State Of Iowa

Last September I drove my neighbor to our lake place in Minnesota. For me it's an extremely tedious trip unless one enjoys driving seventeen hours on interstates. On the way to Hackensack, Minnesota and my lake home, we drove through Illinois then across Wisconsin to the Twin Cities and north.

My buddy was an All-American football player under the legendary Woody Hayes on their 1958 National Champion football team. His suggestion was, since he had only been to Iowa City to play in one game and against the legendary Alex Karras, we drive the state of Iowa to Interstate 80 then across through the Quad-Cities crossing the east side over the Mississippi River into Illinois.

My friend, Doc, didn't say a whole lot on the trip home. I suspect it was because he, unbeknownst to the both of us, was nursing a broken neck from a fall at our lake place.

Regardless, since he played for Woody he's a tough nut and didn't complain one iota.

After we were home for a couple of weeks and he'd recovered from neck surgery he gave me his perceptions on the Hawkeye State.

His most significant observation: While driving on interstates he did not see one scrap of paper, one beer can, not one piece of garbage. In other words, he saw nothing to keep him from believing Iowa is nothing but beautiful.

I love Iowa. It's a lot more than corn and hogs.

No comments: