Saturday, July 16, 2016

The Great Television Experiment

I won't be telling you anything you don't already know. Take another moment to scan through the cable television stations you receive. Very sad, isn't it? If you're a home shopper you'll be looking at three channels. There's a channel showing a man and woman, naked and in the wildness, trying to survive on snakes and nuts.

I could go on and on but we all are aware that television is loaded with bad channels promoting and showing even worse shows.

I'm a Time-Warner subscriber for one reason. In our condo area the powers to be say it's the only one we're allowed to have except for AT&T. In either case the prices for both are about the same, $165 per month. That gags me because it seems like a ton of money for crap stations. People in Kenya live nicely off this kind of cash for a year.

In addition, it's basic cable; no frills included.

I've called T-W a number of times looking for a better price but to no avail. A month ago I contacted them and said I wanted to get rid of our land line phone service and television but keep the wifi outlet.

Their response was, "We can do that. Your monthly price will be only $160".

So, MJH has made an executive decision. I will be able to pick up AT&T wifi for $50 per month. We, along with Her Majesty's approval, will not have landline or television from a cable company.

You may be asking, "MJ, we all know you're a television freak. What will you do when you can't flip channels"? This is an easy answer. I might read more, you know, books and such.

If there is a sporting event I can't live without I'll sponge off of a neighbor or hit a local sports bar. I can suck on Coca-colas and eat French fries for a long time if necessary.

When the Iowa State Cyclone and Iowa Hawkeye football and basketball seasons begin I can pick up every game on my computer for the paltry sum of $10 per month.

My wife is an expert with Netflix and something called Roku. We can watch any show we favor, 'The Americans' is a dandy show,  and do it three days after it's shown on regular TV plus we don't have to sit through the tedious commercials These gizmos also provide movies for all genre. The price? Netflix is $9 per month. For Roku we bought a system at $39. It's a one time price, for life.

I'll still be able to pick up a couple of local channels; CBS and NBC(who cares) and maybe ME TV.
Besides, I'm old enough to remember television in its infancy. I could entertain myself for hours watching the test pattern

Maybe if the were more folks like the MJ Hawkeyes in the country we could bring the media bastards to their knees.

No comments: