Saturday, July 2, 2016

What Happened To The 4th Of July

In two days we will have the factual celebration of the 240th anniversary of our nations independence. I'll always remember the 200th because our last child was born in 1976.

I might be wrong but as time goes by it seems to me that July 4th has become more of a reason to take a three day vacation by eating hot dogs and drinking beer than it is to recall the events and the men who made us the greatest nation on God's green earth.

My eldest grandchild, an eleven year old boy, visited us for four days this past week. He wasn't fully aware that I had a major major in American History but now he's getting the hang of it. A few months ago I gave he and his sister an actual newspaper from Concord, Massachusetts dated 1823. They thought that was very special and took it to their school to show their teachers and friends.

A few days ago I saw a video. A man was questioning adults about the why of July 4th. You've seen these goofs. These adults were clueless. Good Gawd! How embarrassing for them and former teachers like me. I feel like I wasted the best years of my life. Once again, I must remind you of Augie Blake, a history student of mine my first year of teaching in 1968. He stated, "Why study history? There ain't no future in it". I suspect he'd never heard of Neville Chamberlin.

Reverting back to my eleven year old grandson, I was taken with his knowledge of American History. We discussed Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, many of our Founding Father's and the result of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The most important fact is he knew of what he spoke.

When I was a teacher I always told my students that the men who founded this nation HAD to be put on this planet, this continent, at this time,because it was ordained by God. There has never been, in the history of mankind, a group of more brilliant men gathered together. The Declaration and the
Constitution were brought about by compromise and that, in itself, is worthy of extensive discussion.

Am I upset with those folks who are clueless about our nations history? Not a bit. When my grandson grows and matures he'll have knowledge beyond his years. As he progresses and begins having job interviews and opportunities for professional advancement he'll be nine steps ahead of the morons who laughed about not knowing the names of George Washington or Abraham Lincoln. In other words, he'll own the gas stations and these idiots will be pumping the fuel for him.

God bless American and God bless my children and teachers who are them about our countries true heroes.

No comments: