Sunday, August 27, 2023

Presidential Speeches In Times Of Crisis

 Down through our history there have been times of great horror and tragedy. There are presidents who spoke to give reassurance to the people to untie us. Most of the material in this was borrowed from a fella named Glenn Beaton. He's a conservative who for some reason spends his days in Aspen Colorado. He's one of my hero writers so give him a look see.

Some examples are:

“The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.” Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg

FDR following Pearl Harbor: “Yesterday, December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy, the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.” 

Ronald Reagan following the space shuttle Challenger: “The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for the journey and waved goodbye and ‘slipped the surly bonds of earth’ to ‘touch the face of God.’”

Joe Biden after the Maui fire: “I don’t want to compare difficulties, but we have a little sense, Jill and I, what it’s like to lose a home. . . . To make a long story short, I almost lost my wife, my ’67 Corvette, and my cat.”

No comments: