Tuesday, January 16, 2024

BiteMeNomics


Since The Queen and I are spending our winter in St. Augustine I like to give her a break from cooking a couple of nights a week so I'll splurge and head for a fast food place. Ten or so years ago we were visiting family in Arizona and I came across a Whataburger. It had a reputation for good quality burgers and lo and behold there happened to be one of these places a mile from out present location. I ordered for Her Majesty one of the basic hamburgers. For me I bought a barbeque chicken sandwich and we shared a small fry. I was semi-shocked when the counter girl told me the cost of my order would be $18.50. I say semi-shocked because I've come across the same type of pricing on a number of items lately. For instance, at a Race Trac gas station I bought a small coffee and a bagel for $4. 25. So, when you look at the graph above you have an indication of the price of food at the supermarket. What once cost $100 is now up to $125 and I don't expect it to stop any time soon.

I have to wonder how the fast food market is going to stay in business. It cannot be easy for them to keep up with the pricing. And to think it all started with a certain someone shutting down what is called the Keystone Pipeline. Whoda' thunk it?

No comments: