Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Do You Love Dogs

 Do you love dogs as much as I? The amazing part of my affection for these friends is that I didn't used to be this way. Oh, I had a couple of dogs as a kid growing up in Central Iowa but I really didn't appreciate them. To be honest, my parents trained our pooches the way they trained their children------they had them but didn't follow through on the training aspect of the task at hand. In other words, they, like their kids, were allowed to roam without a whole lot of training. 

Since I've been married we've had three dogs in our family. Our first came around in 1992; a rescue Dalmatian. She, Casey by name, had been owned by an Ohio State student who, when he graduated, decided he didn't want her anymore. I don't know how my then 17 year old son found out about her but I reluctantly gave in to his wishes and she came into our lives. When my son left for college Casey became Her Majesty's and my special friend. In 1999 Casey was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I was so devastated I made The Queen take her to the Vet to be put down. It was at that time I promised myself I would never, ever get another dog. I don't very much like crying myself to sleep every night.

Then, six years ago, my son(why is he always involved) told us about a Cairn Terrier out of Cincinnati that needed a home. The Queen was all for it. As for me, not so much. I told him at the time I didn't want to have to go through the trauma of loving one of God's creatures then having to destroy them. I've always stated the only mistake God ever made was to give dogs a short life span. Regardless, Charlie came into our home. He was the smartest of smart dogs. Charlie fit right into our family from the get go. It took me two weeks to fall in love with him and from then on we were best buddies. I don't want to go into the details but it was on February 8 of 2023 at 3:20 in the afternoon when my best friend was tragically killed by a car in front of our home. I'll blame myself forever for taking my eyes off of him for thirty seconds by saying 'hello' to my neighbor. 

After Charlie's death I went into a funk. Every day on the internet I read stories about dogs needing homes. I drove around Ohio and Kentucky looking for the right dog to replace Charlie. It got to the point that I would've taken a three-legged Cocker Spaniel blind in one eye to replace my pal. I was desperate to have another canine, any canine, in my life. I was looking to fill a void.

I searched the kennels and newspapers from March of '23 to the end of May and one day came across a rescue pooch that had been taken out of a kennel in northern Kentucky. She was five years old and had been owned by an elderly woman. The lady either died or went into a nursing home, we don't know which, but she had this Jack Russell Terrier who was, upon inspection by me, one of the most miserable, saddest, pathetic creatures I'd ever seen. I took her home and I named her CeeCee and she came to live with us. I realized that she needed a home more than I needed her. This dog needed someone to love her and I picked me to be that person. I hoped I could be that person.

This poor animal had lived in a 600 square foot apartment her entire five years. I seriously doubt she had ever had contact with more than five people, other dogs included. I doubt she had ever been on a walk except to eliminate bodily fluids. She would snarl, bark and growl when any male, other than me,  when they came near her. I suppose it's normal for dogs and maybe even humans to lose their bladders when nervous. CeeCee gave urinating anywhere and anytime new meaning. The best of all reasons to keep the lass was, from the get go, she was in love with Her Majesty. And this response was all important because The Queen missed Charlie more than I which seemed impossible. In other words, my wife initially wanted nothing to do with her. Time and love from a canine can change this feeling in a hurry. CeeCee loves her Majesty the way I love anything Iowa-------and that's a good thing.

So, we're now into the eighth month with our new child and the changes in attitude and actions have been remarkable. CeeCee had been deathly afraid of other dogs. Last week we visited friends who have two pooches. Our lady was familiar with them from previous visits but her fear when around them was like how I would feel in the presence of John Wayne Gacey. Not this time though. She sniffed their rear ends while I watched her tail wagging with vigor. I was overjoyed. It was like watching your child win a spelling bee. My buttons were bursting with joy. My girl now jumps on the couch and cuddles with me. Prior to the past two weeks this had only happened twice. Being the skeptic that I am I figure she thinks I have treats and she's right. I'll accept the cuddles.

I could go on and on about the progress our rescue has made and how much we both love her but I won't. The only reason I'm writing this piece is because I saw a photo of another pooch who was recently rescued and I thought to myself, "How lucky are her owners to have such a wonderful friend" and it reminded me our our lil' gal. Isn't she absolutely adorable?





No comments: