Sunday, December 14, 2014

Laugh Out Loud(LOL) Because I Can't Breathe

I wonder who came up with the LOL for 'laugh out loud' we so often see on the internet. Someone had to be the first. Personally, I've tended to shy away from its usage. I mean, who wants to go along with the crowd. For me the writing of LOL is akin to a teacher signing a students high school yearbook with only a signature instead of an adjoining personal note. As an example, "Bill, you're a fine you man and I'll always remember you, Mr. MJ Hawkeye". That's a train load of coal better than, "MJ Hawkeye".

In last nights news there was an article about the University of Notre Dame's women's basketball team led by Coach Muffet McGraw, LOL. They took the floor to play a game and the Lady Irish were sporting t-shirts reading, "I can't breathe". This seems to have become a national trend even though anyone with a lick of sense knows it would be physically impossible to say, "I can't breathe", while in a chokehold. Using the phrase for "I can't breathe" at a basketball game is like a Texan screaming, "Remember the Alamo" while changing a car tire. That is, unless they are all physically having a lack of oxygen flow.

There are all kinds of exclamations to be used in times of stress and confusion mostly brought on by the media in times of war and turmoil. Examples of which would be: "Remember the Maine" and "Never forget Pearl Harbor". So, "Hands up, don't shoot" and "I can't breathe" are today what "Remember Kent State" was to yesteryear. By the way, how many of you recall Kent State?

Therefore, I've come to an executive decision. For the first time in my life, yesterday, I used the initials LOL in an email. I cringed when I did it because, like the high school yearbook analogy, I much prefer writing, "I laughed out loud". I've decided that from now on and in sympathy with the contemporary leanings of America I will place the initials, ICB, for "I can't breathe", at the conclusion of each and every blog piece, every email, any speech given or comment made to a citizen on the street. I will not have the words stenciled on clothing. I have to draw the line somewhere. In other words, I am applying meaningless and nonsensical initials to any utterance.

However, I do want my children and grandchildren to be proud of their old man. It's important I be considered a leader and respected citizen of Dublin, Ohio and, as the sun rises in the east, I will continue with the ICB initials until the next great social movement is upon us all. Hopefully, it involves the Cubs getting to the World Series which comes out to GCG or "Go Cubs Go". ICB

No comments: