Monday, December 1, 2014

Television, Football And The F Bomb

Unless you arrived from Candyland on the Good Ship Lollipop this morning you're familiar with the acronym, F.U.*.K.

For the uninitiated it's meaning is, "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge". The history of the word is all over the map. Some say it began in Old England. All British subjects, aside from royalty, were required to receive permission from the king to procreate. Other sources tell us the acronym came from the Germans in the Low Countries in the 16 century and was ascribed to soldiers with VD. On their medical papers the initials were stamped to signify wrongdoings.

I've read stories about the guilty being placed too long in the stockades and instead were forced to walk the streets wearing a sign around their necks. Regardless, the result of the word is it's either considered one of the most hideous in the history of mankind or it's the best way to let off pent up frustration.

As I recall I broached the subject of the F word in a blog piece from a couple of years ago. This time a situation has arisen, brought on by the media, to expose the evils of the word by a particular person using it, an American icon and sports hero.

I was watching the New England Patriots compete against the Green Bay Packers last night. With 2:17 to play the Packers completed a 3rd down pass giving them a 1st down thereby sealing victory. The television cameras immediately went to the Patriots sideline and focused on their quarterback, Tom Brady. The all-star QB not only mouthed the F word, he screamed it. Helen Keller listening and Ray Charles watching could have made it out. And Brady didn't do it once. He did it three times in succession and each time with angrier facial expressions.

This morning all television networks, blog sites and twitter were all atwitter because of Brady's supposed childish behavior. Somebody, please, give me an F'ing break!
Did Brady radio the networks and ask, "If the Packers get a first down somebody get a shot of me. I'll give every sports fan, mom and dad, and Sisters of the Perpetual Hope water cooler fodder for Monday". Of course he didn't. He did what every normal sports animal would do. He was upset and devastated his team lost. He'd prepared all week for this war and the Packers were the victors.
This is football so what does a person expect? Have these people ever been on the sidelines of a sports team? Do they really believe these men would say, "Well, we gave it our best shot"? Have any of the PC crowd worn a sports bra or jock strap? And the answer is, "Slim and none and Slim's out of town.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. The F word is my very favorite expletive. It's a stress reliever. If I didn't use it I could be a candidate for burning down a community in some obscure Missouri town.

I say the F word whenever and wherever except under certain conditions: not in front of my wife, my children, my grandchildren, The Pope(I have a priest friend who makes me look like an F word neophyte), and most all other people. In other words, I'm very selective about it's use. I will say it on the golf course when I miss a 3 foot putt. Memory serves I've used it when I break something of value as I did with a picture frame not ten minutes ago. I say it when I can't find my billfold and have searched for an hour. At this point I become Tom Brady. I scream it. Who wouldn't? "Aw shucks" doesn't have the awesome power the F word deserves.


Use of the F bomb is better than Hillary saying "You know" when she's at a loss for words. As a matter of fact she might gain a few more Dem votes if she added it to her repertoire.

No comments: