Thursday, October 29, 2015

Ahmed The Clock Boy Is A Piker Compared To The Boys From Boone

Ahmed(pronounced Achmed)"the clock boy" Mohamed has made Time Magazines list of top teenagers for 2015. The lad and his family, though, have left the country for some God forsaken desert dung hole in the Middle East.

His award sort of, but not quite, irritates the heck out of me. I suppose the reason is because it's a damn clock he took apart. A friend of mine and myself came up with an idea a heck of a lot better.

In the early 60's my good buddy, Dick Musser and I, were trying to come up with ways to make money and have some fun at the same time. It was tough scrounging money when a bag of Planter's peanuts and a Coke cost twenty cents. If my grandma hadn't lived with us I never would have had any running around cash. She spoiled me like a carton of milk on the back porch on a July day.

Anyway, Dick and I went out in his backyard. It was loaded with shrubs, bushes and trees; the perfect place to build a 9 hole golf course. We designed this track with doglegs, shots that needed to be banked off his neighbor's garage and chipped over trash cans. Boone, Iowa has never seen such a majestic venue.

For the cups we placed used Campbell Soup cans in the ground. Flagsticks were just that----sticks.

We had fliers made up and distributed around our community. Hundreds(probably 20) of friends and non-friends alike signed up to vie for prizes, 1st through 4th place. The winner won $2.

We sold refreshments; pop and candy bars(at inflated prices, naturally).

Dick and I still speak about that adventure. The only person against the idea was his dad. His comment was, "I've spent many thousands of dollars to beautify this yard". Dick's mom laughed out loud ending that discussion. The only thing RL ever did to 'beautify' the yard was to give Muss a quarter to buy a gallon of gasoline to be used in mowing.

So, stupid Ahmed gets his picture on the cover of Time. Dick and I should be on Mt. Rushmore for our entrepreneurial and architectural accomplishments compared to what the mini-Muslim did.

I always say, if you want something done and done right have real Americans do it.

No comments: