Saturday, October 31, 2015

An Ohio State Buckeye Hiccup

J.T. Barrett, Ohio State quarterback of the number 1 ranked Buckeyes committed a 'youthful indiscretion', more commonly referred to as doing something stupid last night. He was cited for a DUI.

Since the Bucks are idle today(Saturday) I can understand how some kids want to blow off steam. I can't imagine him, though, sitting around the dorm room until 5pm yesterday then having an epiphany and telling himself, "I think I'll go out and suck down a couple of beers. The most likely scenario is this: Coach Meyer's out of town; I can do my thing and have all day to sleep in; "Let's Rock".

I always thought Barrett was more than intelligent so he disappointed me and Buckeye Nation. As an expert in carousing he should have called me for advice. WTVN radio is a 50,000 megawatt power monster in Columbus. Every Friday they announce where the DUI check points will be all day long. "Hey J.T., get the head set out of your ears and turn on the radio"!

Secondly, hasn't the kid heard about Uber?

Thirdly, Barrett was arrested on campus. "Hello out there, within crawling distance of his dorm room are 90 bars". Obviously, when it comes to alcohol, this kid is an amateur.

It appears Barrett consumed five or six beers, not exactly a keg. But, since he's 20 years old and under the legal age this is a no-no. In all seriousness, if I nabbed a kid of legal age who blew a .09 I'd have thoughts about what to do with him, regardless if he was a star or not. I mean, when I was teaching I once gave a kid a D- in class but only because I didn't want to look at him the next year.

Finally, there's another villain in this story. If the arrest had taken place at Florida State the cop would have thrown the kid in the back seat of the squad car, driven him to his dorm room, given him a glass of water and tucked him in bed. Can you believe how dumb the cop is? There will be so many angry Buckeye fans upset with his citation he'll have to go into a witness protection program.

No comments: