Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Over Time We Get Over It

We've all suffered disappointments in life. My first in memory came about when I was ten(I don't want to write about the time a Boone policeman shot my cocker spaniel because he thought it was a dangerous German Shepherd. At least that's what he told my dad).

When I was a kid I was an avid baseball loving urchin. I carried my glove wherever I went on my bike.
What I didn't have was my very own baseball bat. One summer day I was walking past the Coast To Coast store and saw a beauty in the window. It was an Alvin Dark model. The lower part was tan and the upper three quarters a beautiful black. The only problem for me was it cost $5, a kings ransom in 1956. Somehow in a couple of weeks I scrounged up the money. I'm sure my Grandma helped out.

Quick like a road runner I rode to the store and purchased my new weapon; the one that would make me the best hitter in all of town. No, the best slugger in the entire world.

The next day my Little League team, the Knights of Columbus Giants played the West Boone Dodgers. I batted third in the line-up. I recall being in the on deck circle taking my practice cuts. Then it was time for me to step to the place. On the first pitch I swung and heard that awful sound---crack! It was a hit. I looked at my bat and there it was, broken. Devastation set in.

As I look back and work my way up to today there are always disappointments; once a week if not more.

The Queen and I received a text last evening from our Minnesota lake neighbor. As is the case in the upper part of that state storms are frequent. One hit yesterday and a 70' pine toppled on our dock. I'm used to this nonsense. The only difference between the bat and the dock is it'll cost more than $5 to repair the dock.

I'll get over the cost. Besides, we have two more pines in the yard.

No comments: