Saturday, October 12, 2019

Dogs Are Smart

Since we adopted our Cairn terrier last February I've become an aficionado of those 4 legged creatures. Web sites detailing the care and training of dogs have become a main staple of my daily reading. I become particularly upset when I read stories of mistreatment of animals especially the canine type.

I've come to learn that dogs need a routine in life. When that routine is broken depression can set in. For example, last week we were at The Greenbrier in West Virginia for three days. Charlie was forced to go to doggie camp at our veterinarians for that period of time. When the Queen picked him up he was excited to see her but also standoffish. When he romped into our house he ran around sniffing and smelling them jumped on my lap and started licking my face. I hate when than happens but then again I don't.

For the next four days wherever I went Charlie had to be there. We should have called him The Shadow. If I was on the couch and he was lying next to me he like to be stroked. I normally cross my legs while sitting. If I uncross them he immediately jumps up thinking I'm going someplace. It doesn't matter if it's to the bathroom or kitchen. He's with me.

His night time routine is thus: The Queen goes to bed at nine pm to read. She sleeps in one bed because of the firmness of the mattress. I sleep in another because I need a mattress that gives the support of a feather bed. Charlie jumps in her bed. At ten I hit the hay and Chaz then comes onto my bed and lies at the foot of the mattress. At eleven I'll say, "Charlie, time for bed" and he jumps up and goes to his cage. I follow and lock the latch.

Dogs aren't dumb. At 4 o'clock this morning I felt Charlie snuggled up next to me. This is unusual, I thought. My thinking was why did Her Majesty let him out so early? Come to find out he has figured out how, by using his snout, to lift the latch and slide the lock to the left. Dogs aren't dumb, are they?

Every day in every way I learn to more appreciate God's gift to mankind.


No comments: